Sustainable living is have an interconnection with everything including the environment and fell man according to Allan Pidgeon. It is the act of having respect for the planet and the next generation.
So here are the top 10 tops from Allan Pidgeon on sustainable living.
1. Start with the power – it if not required turn it off. As these electronic devices and only increasing your power bill and burning fossil fuels at the power station.
2. Minimize your use of disposable items as they are not good for the environment what ever way you look at it. From the productions through to the land fill that is created when they are disposed of.
3. Consider water as liquid gold – as it is the heart of everything so have shorter showers, fix leak taps, don’t leave the tap running when brushing your teeth, installed toilets with half flush systems. Capture rain water in rain tanks and us this water for toilets, washing machines out door watering. Consider using grey water as well.
4. Upgrade your light bubs in your house to led lights as they will drastically reduce your household power consumption.
5. Reuse clothing – reuse, recycle. If you wore it for 10 min’s does it really need to be washed can it be worn tomorrow after work again?
6. Have a garden – plant your own vegie patch. It helps reduce stress and is excellent for the plant. As you are not having to have a truck deliver fruit and vegetable help way across the country as these fresh fruit and vegetables were grown in your own back yard.
7. Buy a bike – yes we all love our cars but do you really need to drive to the corner shop to buy a coffee. Also how many people do you see driving to work by them selves? Ever considered car pooling. You will save money and might even make a few new friends in the office.
8. When buying white goods consider the star rating as the high the stars the less power you will consume.
9. Install Solar Power – you can half your power bills and it can pay for its self in less then 4 years depending on the size of the system you install. But It is a sound investment and good for the environment. And will increase your property value at the end of time.
Allan Pidgeon has describe 9 easy steps to reduce your impact on the environment and also increase the value of your property with some of these steps. They are practical tips and have life time impacts for future generations.